Thursday, January 31, 2013

Differences

So I wasn't sure what to write this time until I had a conversation with my dad and he mentioned all the things that have become normal in my life that if you saw someone doing it back home you would think they were a little strange.  I'll start with a bigger thing and that is transport.  The mode of transportation in and out of my village is bush taxi, which is a pick up truck with boards across the back and you sit on the boards.  If my mother ever saw me riding in a car like that at home she would have a heart attack.  However, here it is the normal mode of transport because it is cheap and can fit a lot of people on.  Even "better" transport is a car that looks like it could fall apart at any moment. (don't worry mom!)  So needless to say, public transportation here is very different from home. 

Next, I get called Toubab every where I go in Senegal.  Toubab means foreigner.  Now, this can be just a way of getting my attention or it came be used as a derogatory term.  When it is someone just being kind and trying to get my attention I will still respond to it, although I would prefer Madame or Mademoiselle.  When it is used any other way outside of that I will not respond to Toubab because most of the time it is someone that is being rude.  Kids will think it is really funny to call you a Toubab even when they know your name.  It can be very frustrating.  On the other hand, I will always prefer Toubab over Xonq nopp, which means red ears.  Xonq nopp is a very derogatory racist phrase.  Some people don't know that and if you tell them that they apologize right away but other people are just rude and those ones you just walk away from. 

Now, here are some differences at the village level. I get a marriage proposal every day of my life here.  Mostly just because people want a toubab wife.  Some people also just want me to take them to the U.S. It is pretty hilarious.  My host dads friends will be like Kine talk to your dad and tell him you want to marry me and to offer you to me.  I just laugh and say I don't want a husband right now.  There is one guy that every time he sees me says Kine, you can be my third wife.....I keep telling him I don't want to be the third one I want to be the first and only.  ;-)  They also think it is hilarious that my husband will cook and I will not.  That makes many men not want to marry me anymore. lol.  Many pulaar men offer me lots of cows....I say I don't want cows, I want camels. 

another difference is that I do all my laundry by hand.  I fill two buckets with water and put detergent in one and nothing in the other.  I then put three or four articles of clothing and let them soak for a little while in the first one and then take one and scrub it with a bar of soap and then rub it between my hands and it squeaks.  I then put it in the other bucket to rinse.  then hang it up on the line to dry.  It takes an hour and a half to two hours depending on how much I have to do. 

The other big difference is the fact that my family did not really acknowledge Christmas or my birthday.  I told my siblings that it was my birthday and they were like, what's a birthday?  Many people in villages do not know when they were born so birthdays are not a big deal.  So it was kind of like, it's your birthday?  that's nice.  lol.  However, both were very pleasant days.  

Bush taxi!!!!

My nephew and best buddy mabdou

Village mosque

Elementary school
I am sure there are many many more differences but these are just a few for you. Other than that, things are moving along here, work is picking up, and we're almost at a year mark!

No comments:

Post a Comment