Saturday, September 29, 2012

fun, friends, and frustrations

Jigeen Gem sa Bopp....Girls Believe in yourself!  That was the cheer of my team at our wonderful girls camp.  The week started off with a bus ride from Dahra to St. Louis.  The girls didn't talk with each other at all and were looking at the crazy volunteers in the back singing and dancing.  We got to the University and proceeded to stay up until midnight playing name games and such.  I was exhausted on the first day!!  The next day was our business theme.  The Peace Corps staff member that is in charge of our small business sector came and played a game about making and saving money with the girls.  They seemed to love it.  Oh!  and everyday before breakfast we did about half hour of zumba!!!  and we also danced to Beyonce because she's great and everyone here loves her.  We also had a panel of college students that day.  The next day was environment day.  We took a field trip to a PCV garden and they learned about composting, planting trees, and making nurseries.  After the garden we took them to the beach, which could have been the best part of the whole week.  Most of the girls have never seen any body of water let alone the ocean!  The loved it!!!  they were picking up garbage and finding plastic bottles to have people put ocean water in for them.  and then we let them put their feet in and they freaked out!  Fantastic!  We also played the Lorax for them with translation.  The next day was women's rights day.  We had a speaker that came and talked about going to college and the fact that women have all the same rights men do.  Then it was health day which was a great hit!  We had a mini olympics in the morning and a midwife come in the afternoon for a question and answer session.  The girls loved it!  A volunteer also gave a nutrition talk and played a game with it and it was interesting to watch because the education system here is very different than the education system in the U.S.  Here they just memorize things, so when it is time to apply what they learned it is very difficult.  That night we also had a bonfire, which was insane.  We just ran in circles around it while singing songs and people kept getting closer and closer.  I had a mini panic attack at one point.  Oh speaking of mini panic attacks, we used whistles all week to call girls to do something and it drove me up a wall because whistles have never meant good things for me.  So when girls would just blow whistles for ten minutes straight it drove me up a wall!  But so the last day was gender and development day.  This was another great day.  We watched a movie about women that grew up from similar backgrounds as these girls and have great success stories to tell.  And then we had one of the women in the movie come and talk to the girls!  Awesome.  We also did Theatre with the girls and they are great actors and hilarious!!  Then that night we had a talent show and gave out cake and certificates at two in the morning because things just went so late that night!!  Overall, fantastic week!!  The next day we had a bus ride back to linguere with the girls being much more talkative!  The girls just blossomed over the week and it gives me so much hope that they will do more with their lives.  I wish there was a way that we could keep up with all of them but its up to them now.  :-) 

So that was the fun and friends part......infections and PC doctors are frustrating!  I have had a skin infection for the past monthish and tried to see a doctor two weeks ago but couldn't get in.  So I finally sent pictures and description to one of the doctors and she was like you need to come to Dakar asap.  So I got on the night bus, which is by far the easiest way to get to dakar from linguere, after a lovely birthday party for one of the missionaries daughters.  She turned five.  We had delicious lunch with homemade cake and ice cream afterwards.  But so I get to Dakar and I settle into the med hut and one of the doctors comes gets me to go to the dermatologist.  I went with two other girls and we were waiting outside and they asked me if I was going for a mole removal too.  In my head I was like seriously!!!  Do you see my skin??? Do you really think I'm going for a mole removal.  but to their faces I was just like nope I have this lovely skin thing going on.  and they were like oh ok.  If you all could have seen this infection you would think the same thing I did.  I had bumps all over my face and chest and shoulders and neck.  It was a ridiculous question.  But one good thing that came from this was that I got to spend the week in the med hut with AC, internet, hot showers, and good food!  I also got to skype with so many people and it was wonderful.  I also got to run along the ocean and I don't want to leave.  Dakar is wonderful with the ocean and I don't want to go back to where everything is about to die.  But I will get through and get reacquainted with the desert.  It will be nice to see my host family again.  Oh and the PC doctor told me that this whole thing started from a bug bite and told me to see how I could avoid bug bites in the future and I was like I live outside!  I can't avoid bugs. lol.  But real work is starting now which is very exciting.  Hope all is well in the good ole U.S.A.  until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment